Sunday, October 13, 2013

Sautéed German Sausages with Bacon and Apple Sauerkraut

Sunday dinner is a longstanding tradition in my family, and it's one that I enjoy carrying on.  Growing up, this was a time for my family to sit down to our favorite familiar meals (steak and potatoes, grilled salmon with fresh corn on the cob, tuna casserole, roast beef...), but in my hands Sunday dinner has become a time for exploration, experimentation, and expanding horizons.  Following last week's delicious sausage and apple dish, I wanted to try another similar recipe but with a slightly different twist.  I came across this lovely little creation published by Food & Wine, Sautéed German Sausages with Bacon and Apple Sauerkraut, contributed by Stanley Lobel.  From the sound of it, this dish offered just the combination of flavors I was looking for -- a mix of tart, sweet, richness.


So off to the market I went.  First stop -- my local farmers market.  About a month ago, I was surprised to find this little gem of a market being held just around the corner from my apartment.  Prior to this I had been trekking down to the quintessential Union Square Market late on Saturday mornings, all the while overlooking this beautiful little market sitting right here under my nose.  Not only is this market local, but it's also held on Sundays, setting the stage perfectly for a bountiful Sunday dinner.  For this recipe, I needed Fuji or Gala apples (which hold up nicely even after sauteing) and the market had an abundance of both.


I knew just the place to go for my bratwurst -- Schaller & Weber.  This butcher is one of the best in the city; they have fresh bratwursts, weisswurst, knackwurst, cheddar brats, Polish kolbase, Hungarian kolbase, mustard, and sauerkraut.  Unfortunately, I arrived to find that they are closed on Sundays, but I was able to find some of their pre-packaged bratwurst at the supermarket.

This recipe is meant to serve 6-8, so I cut it in half.  All in all, it was quite easy to prepare.  The onions are sauteed in bacon fat, and cooked down further in a little liquid (wine, water) with apples, sauerkraut, and juniper berries.  I doubled the amount of apples, and added some apple cider to balance out the sourness of the sauerkraut, which was a bit too overpowering.  The recipe calls for the brats to be cooked in a skillet with some oil, but once they were browned I decided to add them to the sauerkraut mixture to meld the flavors.  Lastly, I added a pat of butter to soften the sauce, since I had cut back on the bacon initially.





Another great fall recipe.  This dish pairs well with Riesling, and even better with a bit of hard cider, preferably one with a hint of sweetness to it, such as Rustica by Eve's Cidery.  If you prefer a Riesling, Lobel suggests the appley 2003 Pfeffingen Pfeffo or the minerally 2003 S.A. Prüm Blue Slate.

The leftovers make a great bag lunch.  Just be sure to remember the mustard!



No comments:

Post a Comment