Sunday, September 22, 2013

Fried Lima Beans with Feta, Sorrel, and Sumac

I was recently introduced to a wonderful cookbook called "Plenty" written by Yotam Ottolenghi that has apparently received some rave reviews.  And, of course, I found a few recipes in the book that I absolutely had to try.  I made the first tonight, based on the recipe published at theguardian.com.  It was pretty good and I recommend it if you are looking for something hearty enough for fall, but with a bit of summer freshness. 

This recipe introduced me to sorrel, which I had never cooked with before.  It's a leafy green that has a lemony flavor, and it's worth seeking out since its flavor blends well with the feta.  I was hoping to find it at the farmers markets, but no such luck.  It was, however, at my local supermarket, sold in a small package as an herb (i.e., this stuff's not cheap); substitute as needed with spinach.  As for the beans, I recommend using Great Northern beans.  Their creamy texture can't be beat.  Last note, the recipe calls for sumac, but I used smoked paprika instead (since there were already 3 sour-ish ingredients: sorrel, lemon juice, feta).  The smokiness added an interesting dimension to this dish.

All in all, the richness of the beans, the earthiness of the smoked paprika, and the brightness of the sorrel made for a perfect flavor combination on the first day of fall. 


No comments:

Post a Comment